Monday, April 14, 2008

Tempering Expectations for my peace of mind…

I’ve had a bit of blogging paralysis of late, as evidenced by a complete lack of posts these past few months. And while I’d love to blame it on busy season (my favorite excuse for everything these days and a semi-annual undisputable justification for tax accountants everywhere to get out of unpalatable jobs and activities), I can’t! I’m not a true PwC employee as yet. I haven’t really weathered a busy season. Somehow I avoided it. But as with all things you read here, please don’t tell them! Although I haven’t adjusted to this whole idea of working yet (and wouldn’t mind getting to stay home and sleep in again), I HAVE become quite accustomed to those direct deposits they take care of for me and the things they enable me to do and better yet, eat!

Recently I’ve been getting some definite flak for failing to update, and that’s made me wonder… what IS the reason that I never write. And I’m realizing that it all comes down to expectations, and my fear of failing to meet them. So I’ve decided that if this blogging bit is going to work for me I need to make a few things clear before I proceed…

And that is the blaring fact I am just plain old Liz Hansen, the one who’s kind of OCD, kind of lazy, kind of nerdy, kind of indulgent, and kind of indifferent to hair and make-up. Living in New York hasn’t changed that. I’m still me. I don’t hang out with celebrities. I don’t see celebrities, or anyone of import for that matter… except for the guy from SNL, who I SHOULD know but don’t… [see cute Sarah’s blog for pics]

So for all my Utah loves, these updates from NY may not be the astounding adventures I’m sensing that you want me to produce. And to all my NY friends, I am undoubtedly not as cool and chic as you… I work for an accounting firm for crying out loud… can you say Albert Brennaman?

So please no expectations.

6 comments:

Lauren Kay said...

I have one expectation when reading your blog: you keep me semi-updated on your NYC life. I wouldn't care if you were living in Pocatello, I'd still want the update! Thanks for indulging me. You're the best.

SJ said...

Liz, I love your blog. I still want to come to NYC and live with you, only time will tell

Kristy Carpenter said...

Hey - Albert Brennaman got the girl in the end remember? If he can do it, we too can get the man of our dreams even though we are mere tax accountants. And thanks for finally updating your blog! Gives me one more to enjoy now that 4-15 has passed.

Ivan Makarov said...

Wow, Liz. Nice to see you're bloffing too. I'm adding your blog to my reader to keep up with what you're up to.

And hey. We're not accountants. We're consultants.

cath said...

if you are albert brennaman can I be your Hitch? not because I'm cool enough or man-savvy enough but just because this is hypothetical so it doesn't really matter that i don't get the inner workings of the opposite sex... I think my new position would require moving to new york. what say you?

Amy said...

I absolutely LOVE you. And please don't ever, and I mean NEVER say you are just plain Liz Hansen. For lack of better words, the most amazing, talented, incredible, hilarious, and beautiful Liz Hansen is more like it.