Sunday, February 24, 2008

Tribute to the 79th Street Laundry People!

Since moving to the city a month ago, I've discovered all sorts of phenomenal things about living here... but today I am particularly grateful for what I am afraid is an often over-looked and under-appreciated aspect of the New York City lifestyle. And that is the freedom from doing my laundry! At first I thought it was amazing when I was able to drop off and pick up my laundry the next day, but this weekend I discovered the absolute ideal... same-day pick-up and delivery service--meaning that I can call the darling couple that runs the 79th Street Laundry Service and they'll send someone over to pick up my dirty clothes. For just one extra dollar they'll come get my 22-pound bag of laundry (seriously, 22 pounds!) and return it later that afternoon with the most impeccable folding job I've ever seen! I'm telling you... these people are incredible! If it were a publicly traded company I would DEFINITELY invest, as opposed to my company's various 401K funds for which I have no passion whatsoever!

P.S. As Kate Connolly now-Anderson so astutely pointed out, it's Cadbury mini-Easter egg time, and considering the early Easter we're facing this year, I recommend you follow our lead and stock up now before you find yourself in a post-Easter funk without any of the world's greatest creations! But I would NOT recommend that you do what I did by putting a bag into your desk drawer (the BIG bag) and eating it egg by egg (only pulling out two or three at a time) until it's gone and you spend the evening embarrassed and nursing a stomach ache!

4 comments:

LAINA said...

Liz. I would love to have someone do my laundry, oh what a joy it would be to just be able to drop it off dirty and pick it up clean. Alas, I don't have that little joy in my life so I guess I will have to find a way to make doing my laundry a joyous experience.

Kristy Carpenter said...

It's so easy to eat an entire bag of anything while at work. We just sit there all day working with other people's money while not making much of our own...come on...we need our chocolate. But I totally agree with you that Easter candy really is the best!! Next time I think you should take a little trip down to the 29th floor and share in the wealth though. Haha!

henderson family said...

That sounds FANTASTIC!! Will they come pick up my sure to be 100lb bag of laundry at my house in SL? It sounds heavenly...
Love your blog, your thoughts and can't agree more about cadbury eggs!

rudi said...

LOVE it! (the eggs, but almost more, the laundry!) that is SO cool.