Thursday, November 20, 2008

Invisibility might be overrated... So I'm giving it up!

Maybe being invisible wouldn't be as great as I used to think. I remember as a little kid just wishing I could sneak around invisibly and then as a not so little kid (in college) being so jealous of Harry Potter's cloak! But now that google has bestowed upon us invisible powers of sorts I'm not so sure how I feel about it.

I've been invisible on g-chat all day, and this afternoon I started to get depressed. After Lauren had to go to class I had no other chats going on. Nobody else knew or cared to "send offline chat"s my direction and I started feeling lonely. And then I realized how preposterous the whole thing is! If I want to chat I should get online and show myself! If I don't, I should just sign out. What is with the limbo of invisibility? Why do I like/use it so much? Someone asked me who I was hiding from the other day and I had no idea. I don't even know why I use it! I think I originally fell for the setting because of how it made me feel... akin to Jack Bauer or Sydney Bristow... so sneaky...so savvy! But now it's just obnoxious and I need to stop!

And to anyone else with the same invisibility addiction - I might be sending you random offline chats in an effort to flush you out and rid you of the horrid habit ("lovely girl/horrid habit")!

6 comments:

Lauren Kay said...

I always get sad when people aren't chatting with me and then I realize I'm invisible! And then when I send chats to people who are usually online but generally invisible and they don't write me back, I feel like I've been stabbed in the back and wonder why they aren't online! But I find when people don't chat with me because I'm invisible much better than them not chatting with me when I'm visible. And I realize that it's my fault they aren't chatting because obviously they would be dying to chat with me if they knew I was on. (Or at least that's all my rationalization on the subject.)

carly said...

Haha :) Liz, I love your invisibility comment! so funny! I hope you're doing well in nyc! I need to come visit soon!

kristen kathleen said...

hehe...oh Liz, how I love your insights! Whenever I think of invisibility, for some strange reason, passages from 1984 pop into my head and I wonder if I actually AM invisible despite any attempt on my part in the first place because somewhere, somehow, someone knows I'm around - strange. =)

Amy said...

Let's face it, I'm on gchat so much that I use the "invisible" tool so other wont see how often I sign in and out. It a comfort tool to make me (or others) think more highly of myself and that I have better things to do with my time than to be online all day.

Erin said...

I believe your response to "who are you hiding from?" was "Everyone. Don't you ever feel like avoiding our generation at large!" Ha Ha

and

Amen

Kimpossible said...

ha ha! So funny. I had to give it up too. I spent more time "spying" on who was on than anything else. So ridiculous!