Thursday, December 6, 2007

Any Ideas? (Aside from cleaning my room)

Where does the time go? How does eight months turn into one and leave me nothing to show for the time but a few tests, a few trips, and a whole bunch of CafĂ© Rio stamps on my frequent diner cards! When I graduated and began my eight month self proclaimed sabbatical I had visions…But somehow reality is setting in and I’m realizing that my aspirations may have been a bit lofty and that I may have failed to live up to all of my many expectations.

I’m not trying to discount how amazing the whole experience has been. I wouldn’t go back and change any of it… (Europe, family/friend time, Sidney Bristow—all incredible). I’m just annoyed that I’m still me. Eight months is enough time to do most anything, but evidently turning myself into the perfect person is apparently up there in the long-term category with world peace and child-bearing… blast! (and wretch).

So now here I am with exactly *one month remaining, and I’m grappling with finding a more realistic view of what to accomplish with my time. My dad suggested writing a book (because that's realistic!). My mom suggested cleaning my room (in fact she’s instituted an incentive program in which I get paid for every bag of clothes I give away to the d.i.). Neither of which I’ve done. So if anybody has any one-month suggestions, I’d greatly appreciate them! Keep in mind my financial situation is fragile (or at least it was several thousand dollars ago). Now it’s in complete disrepair.

*A point of clarification: when I say one month left people assume I mean until my job starts, but what I mean is until my life ends! Selling one’s soul to the public accounting profession is not something you do lightly, and my coping mechanism thus far (for the anticipation alone) has been to assume the worst!

4 comments:

cath said...

I would like to suggest several ideas.

1. Mope
2. Wallow
3. Sleep in past noon
4. Never actually change out of your pajamas
5. Watch Hannah Montana reruns when the sun is high in the sky.
6. Come loiter outside my place of work.
7. Consider a game of tennis, or on an ambitious day, a three-mile run.
8. Hang out with me, Catherine, AMAP (as much as possible)
9. Write up some memos re: the current state of status quo in the present situation.
10. CALL ME WHEN YOU GET HOME!

Marissa said...

i love reading your blogs! umm as for ideas..i usually come up with numerous lofty ideas, but then for whatever reason they don't happen. 1 idea is to write a blog entry several times a day to entertain me! another option would be to just be a normal person and not have to have all these goals for the one month of sanity you have left!

henderson family said...

Liz, if I had all the time in the world and no responsibilities (like a toddler hanging on my legs everywhere I go) I would spend it eating Cafe Rio, watching chick flicks and taking naps. So in my opinion, you are spending your time wisely! Do it while you can! And let's go to Cafe Rio before you go so I can see you for the first- and last time- in a long time! What do you say?

rudi said...

can i go to rio with you next time?