Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A pack-rat no more thanks to... Oprah

Ever since watching an A&E biography on the rise of Oprah’s empire I’ve admired her success and envied her many houses. And yet, I’ve always questioned the worth of a career that is completely dependent on the loyalty of people who have nothing better to do between four and five every afternoon!

I’d like to take this opportunity to publicly announce how wrong I was! Her show is NOT just fun and games. It covers valuable, much-needed material. And only Oprah knows how to best provide such information to the masses. I’d go so far as to hold her up as a modern-day Guttenberg. Take her two-day special on hoarding… changed my life! It finally gave me the courage to get rid of all the junk that I have so meticulously organized into the most ridiculous files conceivable. YEARS of junk masquerading as worth-while stuff just because it was well-labeled into neat little files. Like the one with the muscle strengthening exercises from my speech therapy and tongue thrust sessions I had as a kid. What is so scary is how I deluded myself into saving them all these years… as though I thought I’d be needing to study up on the correct usage of a tongue-depressor or how to properly form ‘tz’ sounds! And what is more scary is that it was actually hard to get rid of them.

*Special thanks to my dad for hauling a wheel-barrow into the house to get rid of everything before I had time to rationalize potential uses for it all.
*And special thanks to my mom for allowing my dad to do so.

4 comments:

David said...

LOL - Liz, that picture of your dad is fantastic. I look forward to hearing about the other hidden treasures you found. The picture also makes me sad that I won't see your family this Christmas. I'll just have to settle for a phone call. See you in less than one month!

Marissa said...

oh my goodness..that is so funny..steve made me get rid of my high school calculus notebook..not even a textbook but a notebook...i think its our fear of maybe not being prepared for something! i hope you have so much fun in NYC!!! i am very excited u have a blog..bc i think it will be quite comical and i can live my nyc experience throug you!

Marissa said...

i give you a 94 for this blog..! enjoy the grade..

Jana B. said...

long live oprah. ya know, i need some of that help with my life. so much STUFF! oh man. i am so proud of you, liz! great breakthrough!